Boxing fans in southwestern Minnesota have a rare treat this Friday, as a pro boxing card is scheduled to come off in Sioux Falls for the first time in twenty years. The bout will be hosted at the Sioux Falls Convention Center and is being promoted by Seconds out Promotions. What to watch for:
- Coming off back-to-back losses for the first time in his career, Joey Abell hopes to impress with a win against durable and experienced veteran Jason Nicholson.
- Caleb Truax looks for rounds and experience as he squares off against Larry Brothers, who has done ring time with Anthony Bonsante, Dave Peterson, Gee Cullmer, Anthony Dirrell, and Harry Joe Yorgey.
- Brian Cohen, last seen in Minnesota winning by TKO at Fortune Bay Casino in August, faces faded veteran Tony Ault in one of the night’s two eight-rounders, though the two fighters’ recent histories tend to suggest it won’t last nearly that long.
- The notoriously inactive heavyweight Brad Laffin, veteran of six fights in the last five years, meets Quincy Miner in a bout curiously listed at light heavyweights.
- In what may be the mismatch of the night, heavyweight Ed Perry (12-4-2) is matched against Ed Schomber, possessor of a 3-16 record and an 11-bout losing streak.
- Jeremy McLaurin of Coon Rapids makes his professional appearance against fellow debutante Felix Martinez of Bloomington.