Professional boxing returns to Duluth on October 28th with a ton of fights featuring an abundance of prospects.
It’s still too early to judge, but the preliminary fight card looks promising:
- Gary Eyer (8-0-1 with 6 kayos) -vs- TBA (Main Event)
- Javontae Starks (4-0 with 4 kayos) -vs- Hector Orozco (3-6 with no kayos)
- RJ Laase (4-1 with 2 kayos)-vs- David Laque (2-5 with 2 kayos)
- Al Sands (debut) -vs- TBA
- Jamal James (1-0 with 1 kayo) -vs- TBA
- Donnie Tierney (3-1 with 1 kayo) -vs- TBA
- Tony Lee (1-0 with no kayos) -vs- TBA
- Derek Winston (2-0 with no kayos) -vs- TBA
Highlights: Fight fans in the Twin Ports get their first look at Twin Cities prospects Winston, Lee, and James…heavyweight Al Sands makes his pro debut after an amateur career that culminated in an Upper Midwest Golden Gloves title and a trip to Nationals…RJ Laase makes his long-awaited return to the ring following a loss to the O-bandit Hector Orozco in May of 2009…Javontae Starks lays his unbeaten status on the line against the dangerous and tough Orozco, and always-exciting and heavy-handed counter puncher Gary Eyer headlines a fight card for the first time.
There’s been some uncertainty about the date of this event; it seems that there was a scheduling snafu at the venue (Grandma’s Sports Garden) which resulted in the wrong date being reserved with the state commission. That’s all cleared up now, and the date of the 28th is said to be solid.
What: Professional boxing
Where: Grandma’s Sports Garden in Duluth
When: The evening of Thursday, October 28th
How: Presented by promoter Chuck Horton of Horton’s Gym, with matchmaking by Cory Rapacz (on loan from Midwest Sports Council)